I have not installed nor administered either service.  I have hit cricket
web pages to profile some behaviors - but the network admin team had put
that in place.  I think Robert's right - cricket will get you slightly
closer to the raw firehose, but it may be that switches can report all of
the meta-data you care about for traffic analysis via SNMP, making cacti a
good (better?) way to go.

Thanks to the question below I'm wanting to carve some time out and play
with both and compare. :)

-Rob