I have an antenna in my attic, receives quite well.  Depending, you
may need a small powered antenna booster.  Calc your db loss with the
splitters to determine if and how much is the needed db boost.

I've been running MythTV on Fedora for past few years.  I bought the
HDHomeRun from Silicon Dust for the tuner - great product.

My mom wanted a DVR as well, and after looking at Tivo, et al, I
picked up a Atom based little system from General Nano, installed
Windows 7 on it to use the Media Center (free license from my company!
:-), and again used the HDHomeRun.  Another good setup, but I know you
don't want the Windoze bit... (she couldn't deal with the occasional
MythTV flakiness - it's truly a tinkerer's app, but is getting better
at that part).