Lubuntu is decent.  LXDE is far "lighter" than XFCE, and such things do
matter eg if you are running multiple VMs.   tho i use TWM mostly, beats
both by miles.  but the UI choice pales vs browsing.  chrome is perhaps
slightly lighter than firefox, but again that pales vs how and what you
browse.  things like multiple tabs or the gmail web interface are what burn
your ram.