On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> In my cynical opinion, I think this is no accident.  The most lightweight distros WANT you to see
> how much RAM is in use.  antiX Linux looks good when it shows that it's only using something
> like 40 MB at idle.  The heavyweight distros don't want you to see how much RAM is in use
> because it would make them look grossly inefficient.  It doesn't look good if the OS needs 500 MB
> of RAM just to idle and 2+ GB of RAM to do actual work.

Why would you not want your RAM to be used? If it's not being used
actively, it's a waste of money and resources. I get upset if I'm not
seeing my linux systems' RAM usage in the 85-95% range consistently.
What doesn't get used for active processes gets used for read cache,
which is a good thing(tm).