Is it just me, or is it only the lightweight distros that come with the Conky display showing the memory usage enabled?  I know antiX Linux has Conky displayed out-of-the-box, and I've only seen that feature in a handful of other distros, such as Damn Small Linux and CrunchBang.

I can't recall ever seeing Conky's display of memory usage enabled in a heavyweight distro.

In my cynical opinion, I think this is no accident.  The most lightweight distros WANT you to see how much RAM is in use.  antiX Linux looks good when it shows that it's only using something like 40 MB at idle.  The heavyweight distros don't want you to see how much RAM is in use because it would make them look grossly inefficient.  It doesn't look good if the OS needs 500 MB of RAM just to idle and 2+ GB of RAM to do actual work.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>