When I was looking at qmail and postfix for an internal mail relay, it
seemed to me that qmail was very secure and stable but lacked some modern
features (which is why it's stable and secure). There are a number of
patches that you can apply to add the desired features, but that involves
patching and compiling with third party code, sometimes multiple sets. I am
also wary of software that hasn't been patched in several years. If there
was a security issue, how long would it take the developers to get on it
and fix it?

In the end I decided I didn't want to muck with qmail. I installed postfix
from an RPM, it already had all the features I needed, it's updated
regularly and it works just fine.

--Adam