On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 01:24, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be more efficient and easier to just have various images on
> hand and burn to disc or copy to flash drives as needed? It would be
> almost trivial for someone to have live CD/DVD/flash drive images
> available on one of his/her hard drives at an installfest. I have a few
> hundred GB free on my laptop drives and another couple hundred GB free
> on a portable external drive I carry myself, so space is not an issue. I
> think Brian had tons of blank CD-Rs and a few flash drives, so media
> shouldn't be an issue either. There weren't any blank DVDs around at the
> last installfest, but I have plenty that I could bring in case someone
> wants a disc with a heftier version of a distro (or has a dodgy optical
> drive like me that doesn't like to boot from CDs :P ).

This is how it used to be, back in the day.  Someone had an old system they
donated to the LUG for installfests that had enough space to hold pretty
much every major distro's current release and at least one back.  ISO
images then be copied to media and installed from.

I think the old system finally gave up the ghost.  Or, the installfests did
due to lack of participation, facilities, etc.

--
-Shawn