Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" is a very good book, and the first 3
editions are free for download.  The 4th is not free.

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

There are good examples showing better ways of doing things.  It
doesn't show "this is bad, this is good", it just shows a good way.
It also has more than just Java stuff; has OO and other general good topics too.

Be sure to check out the Java Users group: www.tcjug.org

And I don't think Java promotes bad habits (been doing it for over 12
years); however most (all?) programming languages allow you to do bad
habits...