On 05/27 12:25 , Richard Barnes wrote:
> I'm wary of the previous suggestion to get a grip-strengthening device.
> You do not need bulk-strength to avoid these problems, you need
> endurance-strength. That is, training to squeeze a hundred pounds of
> force 5 times isn't going to help. Being able to consistently squeeze
> at, say, 20-30 pounds might.

The 100# model was the lightest one that Ironmind made at the time. There
are lighter ones now. I am not a terribly strong person (at least I don't
think so); but I've not found the 100# to be exceedingly difficult to
'close'. (Note that the 100# is measured when the grips touch; if you don't
get the grips to touch it's nowhere near as heavy, and if you grip lower
it'll be easier).

Also, in practice I did perhaps 40 repetitions with each hand. 60 on some
days. I had an hour to do them while I drove to work. I've found that the
prophylactic effect doesn't require that many repetitions; only a few.
Keep in mind that the way to use these devices is to squeeze hard and hold
for 15-20 seconds; which builds endurance. Repeated quick squeezes won't
help as much and will tend to wear the device out faster.

I am not a fitness expert; YMMV. Free weight exercises don't fit well into
driving places in the car; but I understand they have a similar effect.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator