On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> More importantly, what can I do to distance myself from the mediocre people
> and the pointy-haired idiots?  I want to avoid being like them, and it would
> help to stay far, far away from them.  Those losers obviously don't see
> themselves as losers and are probably full of covers and rationalizations,
> so I know better than to think I can avoid being one by reciting a few
> mantras every day.

Even after you've put yourself upon a pedestal far above those you loathe,
how do you know your pedestal was really any higher?  After all, you
yourself say they are not aware of their loserness - how is it you're exempt
from the same rationalizations (and and therefore immune from dissonance
theory) when they are as human as you?

You may well be smarter than a lot of people - most people - heck even me
(which is not hard - according to my wife).  I think your productivity, job
happiness, and career prospects will be significantly heightened by being
nice to people, and not worrying about who is below you or above you.  Yes,
the tech world is full of self-absorbed ass-hats whose
low-tolerance-for-stupidity personalities lead to greatness.  It so happens
most of them were owners and entrepreneurs - which affords a bit more leeway
on the ass-hat-meter.

-Rob