The high tech areas that require real innovation and teamwork cannot tolerate hackers and tinkerers.  For example, programming to
detect and thwart missiles aimed at a fighter aircraft for "your side" requires the greatest cleverness and verification teamwork in
a secure team.  Cleared players must be both very good and interchangeable.  Nobody would trust a lone wolf hacker.  Similar things
are true for most things on the leading edge of technology.  IT maintenance and support is more likely to be "fix it now" for
well-established stuff.  Bandaids and hacker stuff may be tolerated, but better groups will always insist on maintainability and
verification.

Something sounds off-base about your ideas of "hacker-centric" cultures.  Doesn't sound like something to aspire to at any stage of
your career.

Chuck