On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 01:50:28AM -0500, swede wrote:
> -----------------
> TARDIS EDITION!!! If you delete a file you can GO BACK IN TIME and get it
> back!
>
> No wait, that would cross your own time line.
>
> Ok, just make it all blue then.
> -----------------
>
> If you do that, I'll install it.  And so will my son and daughter.

I don't know about making it blue, but you can do "automatic"
recoveries.  Just get a handful of big hard drives (2TB are ~$80
nowadays) and set them up in a RAID, using BTRFS as a file system.
Then set up a cron job to take automatic snapshots every hour, and
another one to merge/coalesce hourly snapshots older than one month,
leaving the midnight/4AM snapshot in place.

When you want to see how your file system looked last week, just mount
the appropriate snapshot.

It is not 100% enterprise ready, but the functionality is all there.

Cheers,
florin

--
Don't question authority!  They don't know either.