On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 07:06:14AM -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
> > http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/24/skype-steals-bandwidth-%E2%80%94-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/
>
> I read the blog.  What makes it any different than AIM, Yahoo, etc.,
> that calls home regularly to tell you if your friends are online or not
> or that you are online. Do you get a disclaimer on Adium or Pidgin or
> Trillian? No.

Well, duh!  "Calling home" to see who else is connected is an obvious
design for a person-server-person communication system.  Just like
IRC.  But with IRC or Pidgin, the only thing going through your wire
are bytes that you are originating or that you are receiving.  For
your benefit.  With Skype you might be receiving, sending or computing
checksums on behalf of other people whom you have never met.

Now, this is not necessary a bad thing - this is how Skype makes money
and can keep its services discounted to clients and profitable to the
shareholders.  As long as you know and you agree, all is fine.  The
trouble is when Skype consumes more resources that one expects.

Cheers,
florin

--
Don't question authority!  They don't know either.