On 5/11/11 2:26 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/24/skype-steals-bandwidth-%E2%80%94-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/
>

> I once heard that it had something to do with routing calls, but I don't
> know what they are doing. I keep it fully off unless I'm actually using
> it or expecting a call.

The blog had nothing to do with routing calls. It was a poorly written
("using up you bandwidth") hyperbolic ("As far as we are concerned in
computers, sudden death") and factually misleading piece.

They are talking about bitrates (kilo/mega/giga-bits/sec) and amount
downloaded (kilo/mega/giga-BYTES/sec).

Their conclusion: their ISP was capping them because of 3.9Gbytes/month.
In reality, this is 500Mbytes/month. Not much traffic.

You may be correct about skype stealing bandwidth, but that blog doesn't
support it.

John