On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 16:50, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Randy Clarksean wrote:
>>> Anyone upgraded to 11.04 yet?

I've taken the plunge and upgraded my laptop as well as my desktop
here at work. Did it on Day 1, actually. :)

> It will take me awhile to find all of the things I love and hate about the
> new environment, ...

Agreed.

I'd made a move to the Macbuntu setup for a few months on v10.10, so I
was already getting used to some of the changes Unity itself makes.
I'm not sure if I like them, but at least I was used to them.

> gnome-terminal is there as before, but nothing happens when I click on it.

If you go into Settings, you can click the "Main Menu" selection in
the Personal section. Then, under Accessories you can check the
Properties of the gnome-terminal icon. I've found that whatever I edit
there is reflected in the Unity bar.

However, I see that Natty v11.04 is including byobu now and it seems
they want to make that the default (which is, of course, just
gnome-terminal automatically running the newer byobu version of good
ol' screen). Since I run screen all the time, I was quite pleased to
see my own .screenrc brought in and layered on top of the default
byobu settings, which I think are quite nice. Something to look at.

> To get a terminal window, I had to open Nautilus and find the executable,
> which was in /usr/bin/, I think, and click on its icon.

Alternatively, you could just press <ALT-F2> and then just type gnome-terminal.

> Second, the task "Launcher" on the left side of the screen behaves quite
> badly when there is an open window near that side of the screen.  It tends
> to jump in and out making it very difficult to click on an icon.

I've also changed that setting in the Settings application. There's a
Launcher & Menus selection that I changed to "Touches the top left
corner of the screen." This shows a wee little colored triangle in the
upper-left corner that I can mouse to and show the Unity Launcher bar.
Works everytime. When I had it set to the default of "Pushes the left
edge of the screen" I saw the same behavior you report.

> Another thing:  The scroll bars work in a new way that I find very
> bothersome right now.  Maybe I'll learn to like it.  I'll give it a chance.

I agree, I don't like those, ... but suppose I'll get used to them.
Another annoyance I've found is that my mouse scroll-wheel doesn't
seem to work to scroll windows in all applications. I haven't done a
controlled experiment on that yet, so it just seems random, which
makes it more frustrating.

> Does anyone know how I can fix the problem with the gnome-terminal setting
> in the Launcher?

I'd try doing the edit I described above. If that doesn't update the
gnome-terminal Launcher icon, you can always <right-click> the icon in
the Launcher and uncheck "Keep in Launcher," then go do the edit I
mention above, then use the Launcher to show all Applications,
navigate to the Accessories, and then drag-and-drop the newly modified
gnome-terminal icon into the Launcher. That should "force" the issue
and update what's in the Launcher.

I'm going to continue giving Unity a fair shot. But ... I'm getting
closer and closer to moving back to fluxbox. I was an fvwm (and then
fvwm2) guy in the 90s. Then, when I moved to Gentoo in early 2002 I
shifted to fluxbox, which I used until 2006 when I made the switch to
Kubuntu (KDE-based). I soon tired of that (too much to configure) and
shifted to straight Ubuntu in 2008. I've been lucky enough to run on
machines with sufficient resources, so the bloat of KDE and GNOME
never "bothered" me, so long as I could keep a fairly minimalist
desktop.

I agree with another poster that Unity seems to make sense for touch
interfaces on hand-held devices (of any size) but doesn't make sense
on a modern, large LCD or across a multiple LCD display system.

Oh, one last thing: I _had_ to go into the Compiz settings and change
the window switcher back to a "standard" (I use the ring switcher) so
I could use my ages old <ALT-Tab> to move between windows. :)

Just my $0.02US

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman
612.234.7778 (m)