Hi Mike,

I have updated to 11.04 on a dell 1501.  I had to redo my wireless drivers, minor hick up...but it works fine.  It is purely an internet machine, and I do use open Office for report writing, but I don't do any programming.

Eric
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Miller" <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:50:34 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Ubuntu 11.04 released ... anyone tried on laptop?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Randy Clarksean wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop that I use for critical work functions.
>>
>> Anyone upgraded to 11.04 yet?  I want to hold off as I cannot afford an
>> upgrade that then leaves me with issues to fix.  If anyone has
>> experiences to share as they do the upgrade on a laptop I would love to
>> hear about it.
>

> I use an Asus netbook.  I ran Ubuntu Netbook Remix at first, then with
> 10.10 I was a bit disappointed at the loss of some familiar
> functionality. I hear that 11.04 will be better.  I am doing it now and
> I'll post later to say what I think of the outcome.

It will take me awhile to find all of the things I love and hate about the
new environment, but I can give you two hates right now!  ;-)

First, I was used to the Unity-style interface because that's what Ubuntu
gave me on my netbook with 10.10.  The newer version looks a little nicer,
but the program I use most of all did not work:  The icon for the
gnome-terminal is there as before, but nothing happens when I click on it.
To get a terminal window, I had to open Nautilus and find the executable,
which was in /usr/bin/, I think, and click on its icon.  That was very
annoying, but the next problem was that I couldn't figure out how to
change the path to gnome-terminal in the Unity menu system -- it must be
specified incorrectly somewhere because the icon doesn't run the program,
but the program exists in /usr/bin.  It would be nice if a right-click on
the icon allowed the user to edit what it does.

Second, the task "Launcher" on the left side of the screen behaves quite
badly when there is an open window near that side of the screen.  It tends
to jump in and out making it very difficult to click on an icon.

Another thing:  The scroll bars work in a new way that I find very
bothersome right now.  Maybe I'll learn to like it.  I'll give it a
chance.

Does anyone know how I can fix the problem with the gnome-terminal setting
in the Launcher?  I don't mind using xterm.  I think the problem might be
that the path to gnome-terminal is not specified, and the system path does
not include /usr/bin when Unity starts up.  I'm looking at this file:

~/.local/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop

Mike