On 03/31 02:27 , Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Also, putting the focal point "beyond" the device
> implies, at least to me, that the device uses a transparent display
> plate and projects an image onto the display which appears to exist in
> the space behind the device; I am not aware of any handheld devices with
> such a display, even just as a flat HUD.

Eotech rifle sights project an image back towards your eye that supposedly
looks like it's about 50 feet ahead of you. They're referred to as
'holographic' sights (tho I can't vouch for the technical accuracy of that
usage).
http://www.thumpershole.com/gun_pics/eotech_view_2.JPG
http://www.eotech-inc.com/

I find that they cause me eyestrain just to look at them tho. Can't stand
the things.

I much prefer conventional red-dot sights (like the ones Aimpoint makes),
which project the image forward onto a semi-reflective lens.
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/about-aimpoint/technology/

I think this sort of technology (a lens you look through to see the image)
is what the OP was talking about.

Xybernaut was working on technology that would allow you wear a
heads-up-display; but apparently it wasn't good enough and no one bought
them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xybernaut

I don't know anything about these, but they seem like a pretty cool idea.
http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/index.html

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator