On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Ed C. wrote:

> Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Ed C. wrote:
>>
>>> Otherwise it means there's app for turning your smart phone into a
>>> burning lens.
>>
>> I like that idea.  This makes me wonder -- do any smart phones have
>> built-in laser pointers?  I could use that now and then.  Of course
>> you'd want it to be definitively inactivated most of the time or
>> "eye-phone" could earn a very negative connotation.
>
> Apparently they have had, at least experimentally. Whether it was
> visible light for pointing at paper or an activating beam for pointing
> at photodiodes or photoresistors isn't clear:
>
> http://hci.rwth-aachen.de/materials/publications/ballagas2005d.pdf

Sounds like a prototype.  I just like the idea of packing all the
functions I want in my pocket into one container.  If it had a little pen
in it, I could use that, too.  Kinda like a Swiss Army knife -- OK for a
lot of stuff but not necessarily great at any of them, but you like the
convenient packaging.

I use my phone as a flashlight (who doesn't) or a mirror (mine has a
little mirror on it, but the screens are pretty reflective when turned
off) or a calculator, etc., etc.  Laser pointer could be handy.  If it had
IR and could work as a universal remote, that might be fun.

Mike