On 2011.03.22 01:33 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Andrew Berg wrote:
>
> > I found Cygwin annoying since /everything/ depends on the base library.
>
> What is annoying about that?  I mean, is it something to do with speed,
> file size, portability?  There must be something that annoys you.  Maybe
> it annoys me too, but I don't understand the issue.
I can't remember exactly why I ditched Cygwin since it was so long ago.
> > MinGW/MSYS is basically the same thing, except without that dependence.
>
> Is it portable?  Maybe that would be even better than Cygwin for some of
> the things I do.
I think so, as long as you use msys.bat.
> By the way, I hate the Cygwin terminal window -- it seems to be the MS
> Windows command window with bash running in it.  I always use an rxvt
> terminal in Cygwin.
I use Console ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/ ). It only
supports a few shells directly (I though only cmd.exe worked, but
apparently the Python interpreter works too), but you can easily have
cmd launch an arbitrary shell (e.g. C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c
C:\MinGW\bin\bash.exe --login -i).
I think it's portable, but I haven't tested it.