For now, I'm on Windows and I have a bash script written for doing
encodes using AviSynth (which, IIRC, is either a PITA or impossible to
properly set up on Linux). Anyway, I'd like to move away from a
MinGW/MSYS environment (the project as a whole is updated
semi-regularly, but most of the programs are really old versions) and
dependence on external programs (e.g. sed, basename, tr). Since I'm
using Windows, I've looked into PowerShell. It has a ton of features
built-in that can replace the standard Unix utilities, and comes
pre-installed with Windows 7, but it's also extremely complicated, not
that great as just a shell (no history from past sessions, it has cmd's
annoying version of tab completion, and one can't cycle through past
commands and go back to an empty prompt, just like cmd), and it uses
quite a bit of memory compared to bash, which is an issue since the
denoiser I use needs tons of memory. It seems like a Windows domain
admin's wet dream, but not quite right for my purposes. cmd might be
able to do the job, but I really don't want to spend my time working
around its limitations. Can anyone recommend a scripting language that's
easy to learn, easy to keep up-to-date on Windows (I would prefer that
the interpreter is just a file or two that can be dropped into a
directory in my path rather than something installed in the usual
manner) and has built-in functionality that can replace at least some of
the utilities I use (grep, sed, basename and tr)?