On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Brian Wall wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> FYI, the old "tail +2" is now "tail -n+2"
>>
>> I don't know why they changed that.
>
> Last I checked, the tail included in Solaris doesn't even support -n. I
> can understand keeping the 'tail +/-2' for compatibilty, but why it
> doesn't even support -n is beyond me.

Good point.  I think Solaris is very, very slow to fix problems with their
utilities.  I remember finding serious bugs or limitations of Solaris
versions of awk, sed and fmt, so I stopped using them, but I'm not sure if
they ever fixed them.  Adding a -n option makes sense.

I thought it made sense for GNU to maintain the +n option, but a file
could be named "+2" so the command becomes ambiguous if a file by that
name exists.

Mike