With all this [noob]untu and RPM/APT/whatever talk, I thought it might be
nice to remember one of the things we like the most about UNIX in general,
and one of the things Linux is better at that just about any UNIX-variant.

Choice (see Subject:).

One of my earliest memories of UNIX was when a co-worker showed me the man
page for the seemingly unobtrusive 'ls' command. Coming from DOS, I was
told that 'ls' is the UNIX equivalent of 'dir', but while 'dir' has three
or four commandline options, 'ls' had over 20. That might seem more like
robustness than choice, but it means you can display the files in a
directory many, many, many more ways. Fun thing is 'ls' has evolved even
MORE since then.

just tried to get a rough estimate and I'm just not willing to count that
high. I can't even say if it's hundreds or THOUSANDS. Sure, there are only
about 10 'major' distributions, but that's still fairly high. And again,
it affords us a crazy amount of choice.

One can install Linux on anything from a cellphone or tablet to a super
computer. Each of those will work in a wildly different way, but it's very
likely that all of them can, in some way, run 'ls' (;

One could install and use Linux right now without ever using the
commandline. Counterwise, one can install and use Linux right now without
ever seeing a GUI. Most of us Power Users/Geeks use both! We can still our
email with [al]pine, or Evolution, or kmail. We can browse the web with
Firefox, chrome or hell, Lynx! We can open a terminal (and use various
different shells) to manage our files, or we can run one of a dozen
GUI-based file managers.

And we can use all of these at the same time, if we want to.

Linux is no longer just a strange, often-mispronounced operating system
that hobbyists play with over the weekend. for years, the holy grail of
Linux was "Linux on the Desktop" that "noobs" could use. We have that now!
And we didn't have to give up the enthusiast portion! Take that, Apple!
Take that, DOS! Hell, take that the home computer market in general!

Linux is big. It's a big, wide, vast sea of choices. There's room enough
in it for every possible usage. and, more importantly, there's a PLACE in
it for every way people use Linux now, and every way people will use Linux
in the future (*cough*cyborgs*cough*).

In closing, I think we should all take a note from the ubiquitous posters
hanging up at work, and Celebrate Diversity.

-Yaron

--

/we now return you to your regularly scheduled program