On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011, Robert Nesius wrote:
>
>  I think Canonical gets a bit of a bad rap.  They are pushing a
>> debian-based distro with a six-month release cycle - which is exactly what a
>> lot of people wanted.  They also have done a lot of work on integration.  I
>> don't know the whole story, but there has been friction between the Gnome
>> community and Canonical for awhile - as from reading the posts above it
>> seems Gnome leadership has been somewhat dickish about some of the issues at
>> play.
>>
>> I'm interested in objective criticisms of Ubuntu.  Not so much in people
>> bagging on it to look 1337.
>>

> When I see people calling it "noob"untu, I think they are trying to tell me
> they are more experienced users who don't need an easy-to-use distro. I've
> been using Unix and Linux systems for more than 20 years and I greatly
> prefer something easy that requires almost nothing from me as a user.  If
> it's easy to install and just works, that's great.  I would prefer to have
> no sysadmin skills at all and have a system with good, secure default
> settings that never fails.  Having readily available, up-to-date packages is
> important.  For me Ubuntu is working fine.  If there is something better,
> I'd like to know, but I wouldn't want it if it's going to take a lot of time
> to figure it out.

You really hit the nail on the head, Mike.  Well, the head of a nail I care
about, anyway.  As someone who has supported distributions of Open Source
tools, I've had my fill of compiling/configuring packages.  If I can get
something reasonably up-to-date and be up and running in minutes instead of
half a day, I'm all for it.  My experience on Ubuntu to date has been very
positive in that regard.

-Rob