On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Dan Smith <dan.smith225 at gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point, I've decided to also leave the TCLUG list.  Because I also
> agree with what Todd said.  "Google answers it much faster and without all
> the BS that the list provides."
>
> Maybe someday I'll return to TCLUG. Maybe I won't.  Maybe I'll just find a
> better list.
>
> Take care all.

I think you should be on a LUG list to be a part of the Linux Community on a
local/regional basis.  Not sure I see a problem with Google being responsive
and helpful - I generally try to find answers on my own (with Google) before
imposing on other people's time.

As for the religion thing, I think some people would do well to remember
it's possible to like a lot of the things about Linux and Open Source AND
subscribe to a religion.  But before you, Dan,  get your axle bent about the
response to Brian Wood I would suggest you consider the what the opposite
extreme behavior would be.

"I'm looking to partner with some people who don't believe in (religious
belief/diety) on rolling a custom embedded distro for a real-time network
device for a consulting gig."

What does belief have to do with any of that?  Nothing.  Which makes that
kind of a remark inappropriate with respect to this community.  And not only
is religion not relevant here, it's a hot button topic for many.  Putting
the two together is bound to get some strong reactions, and that's exactly
what Brian Wood got.  I don't see the problem.  But I'm not religious, so I
don't see strong reactions to Brian Wood's posts as indirect attacks against
my belief system.  If I was a moderator I would not be taking action against
the people who reacted strongly to Mr. Wood.  I would have sent Mr. Wood a
private message, a public message to the list letting them know I had
engaged Brian as a moderator privately to head off some of those strong

In any case, I'm not going to rage-quit just because I don't like how a
situation like that is being handled, or not handled.  But if it makes you
feel better...

Cheers,

-Rob