On 03/04 08:12 , gregwm wrote:
> but still missing twm's tiny ram footprint, can place miniaturized
> window icons anywhere, vert zoom (same width full height), horiz zoom,
> left zoom (left half full height), right zoom, top zoom, bottom zoom.
>
> any other wm with these or such features?

I've not heard of 'left zoom' before; but I can see how some may like it.

I used FVWM for well over a decade, with basically no config changes. I'm on
an OSX box now; but I do miss FVWM quite often. If you like I'll mail you my
old config file.

PieWM had circular menus (much like the ones a friend showed me in Second
Life); which seems like a marvelous interface idea. If I was a coder I would
have tried to hack those into FVWM. PieWM was basically just TWM tho, and
the codebase was from 1991. It may not compile anymore.

Another great UI idea that KWM had with the B II theme was TWM-like
partial-length title bars on windows. It would automatically rearrange them
to show them (if possible) if you overlapped windows. So putting two windows
one on top of another would cause one titlebar to slide to the right so you
could see it behind the other window's titlebar.

Being able to 'weld' windows together (either at the edges or with some
degree of overlapping) and move them as groups is another idea that some WMs
have explored; and seems like a great idea. Some terminal applications and
web browser applications allow multiple 'tabs' for subwindows within the
application; but it seems silly that this should be application-specific.
better that it should be handled by the window manager so *all* applications
can take advantage of it and not have to duplicate code.

Now if only someone would put all these ideas together into one WM, and make
it modular so it could be kept lightweight....

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator