On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:01 AM, r j <ronsmailbox5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am really enjoying learning Perl right now and I love the array and list
> operators.
> After using python for a while I am finding its not so hard to say there is
> more than one way to do it.
> The ease in making a list of  elements is cool (1...100);
> and using @ to make a list @giant = 1...1e5;
> The generate word list it nice as well gw< this list of words >
> Cool :D
> What are some of your favourite language elements to get work done ?
> ,Ron

Hi Ron,

On the one hand I applaud your ability to step outside of Python and
appreciate something different.  On the other hand here's what a friend of
mine had to say about Perl after developing in it for 10+ years and then
finally moving to Python.

"Ten years of Perl man.  That shit rots your brain."

As someone who also spent 10 years+ maintaining perl distros and debuggin
legacy perl scripts, I have no option but to agree.

Enjoy your time with Perl, but .... don't deploy anything into production if
you don't have to.  Those who come after you and maintain your code will
thank you for it.

-Rob (who is migrating from Perl to Ruby, with an eye on Python as a
possible end-game beyond Ruby).