On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Jonah wrote:

> Who wants to contribute to a list, when it may spiral off into some
> off-topic agonizing showboating?

I'd do it.  I like it if people stay on topic, but sometimes threads spin
off into some random direction.  It doesn't kill me.

For example, you are writing about your personal feelings about religion
appearing on a technical Linux list, but I'm changing the subject because
I noticed a character in a text file that emacs described as follows:

2208, #o4240, #x8a0

I'm trying to figure out how to use perl to remove such characters from a
text file.  It seems like it would be easy using something like s/\x8a0//,
but that isn't it.  Anyone know?

Mike