On Mar 2, 2011 5:05 PM, "Yaron" <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> Alright, time to open THIS ol' can of worms up.
>
> The computer I used to use for video editing has become obsolete for the
purpose, especially with everything being in HD. 5 hours to export a 5
minute video is just... not super acceptable. Be nice to be able to do video
editing on my Linux desktop, but I've yet to find an application that A)
Works, and B) Doesn't have a learning curve that requires advanced degrees
to calculate.

> I'll get this out of the way so everyone can have a good laugh - yeah I'm
a Linux on the desktop person, but I've been using a Mac for video editing.
Yeah I know. So really what I'm looking for is not a super-advanced video
editor. I want something that has the same basic functionality as iMovie
(preferably the old version before they dumbed it down even more) -
non-linear, lets you split/move/combine, lets you choose/add/edit audio
tracks, add titles/transitions, that sort of stuff.

> I've tried Keno (didn't have ANY features I could find) Pitivi (can't
handle AVCHD for some reason), Cinelerra (insanely overcomplicated,
seriously when you're running on three monitors and still don't have enough
room for all the windows?) and probably a couple more, all of which either
don't work, can't actually edit videos, or can't export into a usable
format.

> Is anyone on the list using Linux to do semi simple, but not totally
braindead video editing? And if so, any recommendations? I'd really rather
not spend a whole ton of money on a new Apple machine if I can help it.

> -Yaron

How about Kdenlive? Haven't used it but I hear it has a lot more features
than Keno without Cinelerra's learning curve.