My cell phone, a Palm Pre, has Linux under the hood.  Maybe I always knew
that, but I wasn't thinking about it much until I wanted to get my old
text messages off the phone.  Then I had to follow the procedure in the
right pane here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:Accessing_Linux

That leads you here, where there are quite a few steps to follow:

http://developer.palm.com/index.php?id=1788

After that, I connect the phone to the Ubuntu box and run "novaterm" in an
xterm window.  This gives me a bash prompt on the Palm Pre.

root at palm-webos-device:/# set
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:path=/tmp/session_bus_socket'
DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket'
EDITOR='/bin/vi'
HISTFILE='/tmp/.ash_history12372'
IFS='
'
OPTIND='1'
PATH='/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:'
PPID='1004'
PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD='/'
TERM='vt100'
TZ=':/var/luna/preferences/localtime'
UPSTART_STARTTIME='2.580910644'
_='echo'

It's a little limited but it is pretty cool to work in a Linux environment
inside my cell phone.  I guess we want it to be limited because we need
all the RAM and flash memory space we can get.  There are no man pages,
but there are a lot of programs in the path and bash does filename
completion and command history.  So it's pretty comfortable to use.

Next I copied the database file containing SMS messages to a location
where I can access it using the phone as a USB drive:

cp -p /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal

It has md5sum, so I can check that the copies are identical.  Then I exit
the session, unplug the device and plug it back in, but this time I choose
USB-drive mode.  Now I can copy the db file to my Linux box, check the
md5sum, and run these programs to get all of my text messages:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Tutorials_Export_Text_Messages_Using_Perl

I got some of the ideas from here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/187145-how-back-up-text-messages-when-exchanging-phones.html

Mike