On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Scott Raun wrote:

> I'm actually planning on using the cygwin rsync, yes, it's in a Windows
> environment.  The exact paths are subject to change once I figure out
> how cygwin refers to them.
>>>
>>> rsync -tru e:\data_tree d:\data_tree
>>> rsync -tru d:\data_tree e:\data_tree

Regarding Cygwin, but not rsync...

On my Cygwin system, running on Windows XP, it can use the e:/ kind of
reference or /cygdrive/e/.

So I think what you have above would work except that you need to use
forward slash instead of backslash (and use forward slashes in the paths
as well):

rsync -tru e:/data_tree d:/data_tree
rsync -tru d:/data_tree e:/data_tree

but this is probably the preferred method for Cygwin:

rsync -tru /cygdrive/e/data_tree /cygdrive/d/data_tree
rsync -tru /cygdrive/d/data_tree /cygdrive/e/data_tree

Mike