On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Jeremy MountainJohnson <
jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although this has been fixed, another good one would be:
>
> killall -r firefox
>
> The -r signifies a regular expression, so all processes with firefox
> are killed. Perhaps -9 does the same thing, I haven't tried that
> before.

By default, the kill command sends the TERM signal to a process.  This gives
the process to gracefully shut itself down.  It's possible this will not
succeed if a process has blocked (masked) signals for some reason (such as
being in a critical section).  In such cases, the KILL signal (9) may be
sent instead.  The KILL signal cannot be blocked.  Using kill -9 can create
zombies, if my memory serves correctly.

Oh, and 'kill -<number>' sends the signal corresponding to that number.  The
following commands are the same.

kill <pid>
kill -15 <pid>

# man kill
<...>
SIGNALS
       The  signals  listed  below  may  be available for use with kill.
When
       known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown.

       Name     Num   Action    Description
       0          0   n/a       exit code indicates if a signal may be sent
       ALRM      14   exit
       HUP        1   exit
       INT        2   exit
       KILL       9   exit      cannot be blocked
       PIPE      13   exit
       POLL           exit
       PROF           exit
       TERM      15   exit

> The original OP screen-shots gave me a good laugh- it's always funny
> to see Windows viruses attempting to run in Linux =)

Reminds me of the time a script kiddy owned my PPC Mac OS X machine and
immediately notified me of his success by installing an x86 root kit, which
of course rendered the machine unusable for the both of us.

-Rob