On Jul 30, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Tony Yarusso wrote:

> DNS does not assign addresses - DHCP does.  You need to add two things
> to your dhcpd.conf.  First, tell it that 164 is an exception to the
> pool range (so it doesn't try to hand that out to any other machines).
> Then, tell it to always give 164 to the machine with a MAC address
> matching that of the client in question (a "static lease").

This last point isn't quite true. The DHCP will query "Is x.x.x.164 available?" (install/run wireshark... ISC polls about every 4-5 minutes I think) and if it doesn't get a "I have x.x.x.164!" response it will mark it as assignable... and when it tries to assign it will query the network again in case that IP shows up in the interim.

--
Ryan