Jason Hsu:

> Thanks for the suggestion on migrating to Python, Brian.  I've added it as
a priority to the Swift Linux Launchpad page.
> My first migration targets will be new features not already implemented
with GNU Bash.  Over time, I will gradually convert
> parts of my source code to Python, though more urgent priorities will take
precedence.  I am glad that I no longer have
> everything crammed into one repository.  My new arrangement lends itself
to graduate migration while the previous
> arrangements do not.  (Believe it or not, I had the whole process of
transforming antiX Linux into Swift Linux crammed
> into one long script in the early days.  Of course, that was before I had
any understanding of the essence of good software
> development.)

Couple of things.  I'm curious how many tasks top reports on Swift Linux
with just a terminal and top running.  I have a Fedora 15 box that I use
for development.  I can't think of any servers that I've told it to run
and it doesn't have http servers running on it.  Shortly after it boots,
top reports that it has 137 tasks running.  After 15 minutes or so that
number has dropped to 129.

And a suggestion: you might have some "office hours" -- an hour
or two a week where you commit to being available to chat with
people and possibly allow remote logins.  That would let people
kick the tires a bit themselves.  (I'm working on something like
that myself.)

Cheers,
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises