On 07/16/2011 03:33 AM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 2011.07.13 11:24 PM, Robert Nesius wrote:
> > Let us know what you settle on in the end, Andrew.
>
> I found this on StackOverflow and it was very helpful:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10490/best-open-source-project-hosting-site
>
> Now, I have it narrowed down to 3 choices - SF, Google Code and CodePlex.
>
> SF pros:
> Very popular and has tons of features.
> Trac, while not my first choice when it comes to bug trackers, isn't too
> bad and is better than SF's native bug tracker.
> I'm more familiar with SF than any other project host.

Note that the Trac support isn't real good on SF. I use Trac for a
project and you can't use XML-RPC nor can you use git with it. Tickets
have been filed for this and left sitting for 2 years on these topics
with lots of comments about it getting fixed, but nothing happening. So
if you want to use Trac on SF, think about what kind of access you want
to it. I like to use Mylyn in Eclipse and with XML-RPC off, it's very
limited. However if you do choose to use SF and Trac, I have scripts
that will do automated backups if you'd like. I don't know what the
mercurial support is like, but if it's not considered a core service at
SF, you're not going to get much support.

> SF cons:
> I don't really like SF's native bug tracker and forums. Alternatives
> require some work to set up.
>
> <>
>
> GC pros:
> Apparently, there are a lot of Python developers there.
> There is integration between the bug tracker and other features as
> Thomas Jollans mentioned.
>
> GC cons:
> Apparently, it's hard to get noticed there (there are tags, but average
> users are probably generally unaware of them, at least when searching).
> People who want to submit bugs need to have a Google account.
> I don't know a whole lot about GC.
>
> <>
>
> CP pros:
> Apparently, there are a lot of Windows users/developers there. This is a
> pro since my project is mostly cross-platform, but one sub-project only
> works on Windows.
> Mercurial is very up-to-date compared GC and SF. I don't know how much
> this will matter, though.
>
> CP cons:
> I doubt my project will get much attention among the *nix crowd (many
> people in this group have a strong aversion to anything associated with
> Microsoft).
> Overall, not a well known host.
> I know next to nothing about CP.
>

> Does anyone know if there are any services that have cross-project
> integration? I can see myself closing a ton of bug reports just because
> they are issues with the library part of the program, which will be a
> separate project (because there will be other projects based on that
> same library).
Can you explain more on what you're looking for here? Is this for
testing or???