I'm so annoyed about the failures of the methods I've been using that I
think I'll just try the steps below.  I got the installation done,
supposedly, except for GRUB.  None of the instructions for
post-installation are working.  For example, when I look for the RAID in
/dev/mapper/ all I see is "control" and no other items.  There's one last
hope -- one guy said that he couldn't boot until he turned fakeRAID "on"
even though he was (like me) using software raid.  I'll try that, but if
it doesn't work, I'll install for the 5th time (or so) and will try to
follow the instructions below.

Mike