I noticed your second "mdadm" command did not have a --metadata flag - just
wanted to confirm that was intentional versus an accidental omission.
Thanks for detailing that process - I'm going to keep this tucked away for
future reference.

*mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 \*
*   /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90*
* *
* Do the same for your other partition*
* *
* mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 \*
*   /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2*

-Rob