On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:

> Ah, ha, ha -- I figured it out.  The tech at Gen Nano had left the Nvidia
> RAID (fakeRAID?) enabled, and that was screwing it up.

Haha. Yeah, I guess it wasn't seeing boot devices at all. Oops (:

> Any idea why I don't get gnome?

Because you're a good person and true of heart, and the gods are rewarding
you.

Seriously though, I'm wondering if you had radically different video cards
and somehow X got configured for what you had before. See if there's an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, and if there is, rename it to something else.

> Previously, holding down the shift key had no effect because it didn't get
> that far.  Now it boots, so maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

Yeah, that shouldn't really matter... except you might see some errors
when X tries to start. Then again you can just login on the console and
type "startx" and see what it throws at you.

-Yaron