On 07/10/2011 02:55 AM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> Since most software licenses are incredibly verbose, I can't be bothered
> to read through even the major OSI-approved licenses. Essentially, for
> my new project, I don't mind if others use the code in a commercial
> product, but I do mind if they do little more than repackage it and sell
> it. Using it to extend functionality is fine; using it as major
> functionality or as a major component is not. Commercial use is allowed
> with little, if any, restriction (e.g. using it to produce videos that
> will be sold is okay). Which license(s) should I take a look at?
If your project is a stand-alone program and not a library that will be
linked into something, then you can usually use GPL safely in commercial
applications as long as no one wants to ship your project inside of a
commercial application. If it's a library or something that someone may
want to link to in some way, stick with BSD or Clear BSD.

Jon