On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Michael Berkowski wrote:
>
>  On Jul 9, 2011 7:35 PM, "Mike Miller" <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  This is a problem that I have fairly often.  It happens between various
>>> pairs of computers, but always at least one of the two is at the U. I'll
>>> start transferring a big file via scp and will eventually see the KB/s
>>> decline until the ETA disappears and it says "- stalled -" instead of the
>>> ETA.  Any idea what that is about?  It could happen at any time in the
>>> process -- the last few attempts failed at 109MB, 16MB and 45MB while
>>> downloading an ubuntu .iso file.  I was also unable to do it via web
>>> browser.
>>>

>> I often have a similar problem with wifi on recent kernels and a BCM4311
>> chipset. Never found a solution other than to plug into ethernet when I need
>> to retrieve or transfer a large file.
>>

> It occurred to me that maybe sftp is better for large files than is scp, so
> I tried the transfer with sftp and it worked on the first attempt. That was
> after four consecutive failures with scp and a maximum download of 23% of
> the file.

I'd use sftp over scp for big files like that.    You might also use wget
(through an ssh tunnel or some other manner), as wget can resume downloads
that didn't complete without retransmitting bits already sent. (Not sure
sftp does the same or not  - it's worth reading the man page to see if it
does).

-Rob