On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Yaron wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Another thing I noticed is that the CPU fan comes on as if the CPU is
>> hot
>
> That's actually normal - fans will usually start at max before the
> governers tell them to slow down. This might indicate the motherboard is
> not initialising all the way.
>
> The whole tear-down-and-rebuild suggestions are good - I'd add that
> maybe you should spray the dust the hell out of it too.

All of those ideas made a lot of sense, so I tried them.  There was a lot
of dust.  After all that, no change.

I noticed that four of the capacitors on the mobo looked like they had
popped, so I took it into General Nanosystems and had them replace the
mobo ($65 + $45 labor, in and out in 45 mins).  That seems to have worked,
but the machine won't boot up because the new mobo is not the same as the
old mobo.  I'll start a new thread to ask about how best to deal with that
issue.

Mike