On Thursday, January 20, 2011 09:29:46 am Raymond Norton wrote:
> I'm working with a RocketRaid 222x sata controller on a freenas box
> (Raid 5). I had a failed drive, which I have since replaced and
> configured as a spare. In the raid bios it shows the raid is disabled.
> Actually it says "disable" for status. I am expecting the raid to
> rebuild, but it doesn't and I do see any way in the bios to alter the
> disable status. A mount command verifies the raid did not fire up.
>
> Any ideas how to resolve this, outside of creating a new raid?

Sounds like your configuration is the RAID function of the rocketraid is
disabled and it's exporting the disks as individual devices to the OS.

Is the OS seeing a bunch of disks, like /dev/da0 dev/da1, /dev/da2, /dev/da3,
which it's then using as components to a software raid5?

In that case you need to reconfigure your new drive to be exported as a single
unit, then tell geom_raid5 in freenas to forget about the old failed drive and
add in the new drive.  At which point it will start rebuilding.

At any rate, feel free to contact me directly, I have fairly intimate
knowledge of FreeNAS, and FreeBSD in general.

The output of mount would be helpful, as well as ls /dev/da* and graid5 status

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel