My only recommendation is when 394/Hennepin/5th split off 94 is where most of the congestion starts (I commuted for 2 years from 694/35W to Uptown that way) so you'd be better off more times than not to bail there.

The backup often goes to before that split, but usually just barely, because it goes from 5 lanes to 4 to 3 to 2 in a heart beat (the 3rd lane on the tunnel comes from 394).

It sucks, trust me, if you get stuck in it.