> How is this an insult on your religion?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware
>
> The name "Slackware" stems from the fact that the distribution started as a
> private side project with no intended commitment. To prevent it from being
> taken too seriously at first, Volkerding gave it a humorous name, which
> stuck even after Slackware became a serious project.

It looks to me like he might be referring to this:
  Slackware's name is a reference to the concept of "slack" in
  the Church of the SubGenius, a largely Internet-based satirical
  pseudoreligion that had a cult following in the 1980s-90s. Within
  the Church, along with the common meaning of latitude, slack also
  implies personal space and freedom, independence, and the
  capacity for original thought. The developers of the Slackware
  operating system used the term to suggest that the project was,
  at least at its inception, a not-quite-serious spin-off project.

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/definition/Slackware

I have no idea as to whether that is true or not, but it still
seems pretty innocuous to me.  It seems about as offensive as
Spaghetti Linux would be.