On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Ubu Sumner <ubusum at ymail.com> wrote:

> I ran Partition Magic on a family member's single boot XP machine, changing an empty logical partition to an active-primary partition, and it didn't take. Lost the partition table.

If all you've done is whack the partition table, but didn't reformat
or otherwise change the data in the filesystem, use 'testdisk' in
linux to hunt down the partition boundaries and write out the new
table.  Once the new table is written, viola, the filesystems appear.

I've been here before, and testdisk saved my butt :-)

Brian