Hello, and a good day to you all.  I was wondering if anyone has ever used
the public Goggle DNS servers, and if they are reliable.

I recently installed a WAN traffic manager at two of our locations.

http://www.ecessa.com/pages/products/products_powerlink_pl200.php

These units are cool.  I am now bonding 3 isp data connections at one
location, and two isp connections at the other.  It also allows me to do
line bonding for site to site vpn connections which was a selling point
for me (why is the system slow calls from the remote office have
seriously decreased :) ).

Since I installed this unit, I have notice a slight performance hit in the
DNS department.  Internally I have a Slackware box running BIND as a
caching nameserver.  Beneath that there are a
handful of M$ (sorry guys,
but it's a business & corporate is clueless) AD - DNS servers that
maintain & handle the local dns
& forward external requests to the Slackware BIND box.  Prior to
installing the traffic manager, I had BIND setup to forward its
unknown non-cached requests
to the ISP DNS servers that was hooked up to my LAN.  This worked great
for years.  When I hooked up the traffic manager, I added the other ISP
dns servers to the list of forwarders in my BIND config.  After all,
half the reason I picked up the traffic manager was for redundancy (in
case ISP link 1 goes down, etc.).  Once I added the other ISP forwarder I
started to notice delays in DNS queries.  Since the traffic manager is
spitting out my traffic on 3 different ISP I believe this is where the
problem is.  If my BIND sends a forward query to ISP DNS 1, but the query
is actually sent via ISP data link 2, or 3 then when DNS server 1
receives the request it is saying "I don't think so stranger".  Then my
BIND retries until it actually get the magic ISP DNS on the correct ISP
link.  End result = Ring, Ring, Why does my browser take so long to
load!.

I realize I could just ditch forwarding all together, but I prefer to let
an upstream ISP server handle the load & not constantly bother the top
level servers for every new request we get.  A solution I think would be
to forward my dns queries to a server that will accept from any of our ISP
lines.  I don't think I really trust the old 4.2.2.2, but I noticed Goggle
has a public dns service @ 8.8.8.8.  This could solve my problems.

Does anyone have an opinion on using the Goggle DNS?

I have also considered putting a box on the outside of the traffic manager
with 3 nics (one hooked into each ISP) & running BIND that way.  Although I
fell this would work fine, it just seems like more work that I want to do
& yet another thing I will have to worry about.

Another option is the wan manager has QoS I can setup so all my
external DNS
forward requests go via one of the links.  I am reluctant to go this route,
and I want to keep things as redundant as possible.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks!

B-o-B