Raymond Norton cried from the depths of the abyss...

> The script runs just fine from a terminal window and -x shows all is
> well. It just doesn't fire off from cron

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean when the cron job runs &
your xp box is up that no backup file(s) are created per you back up
script instructions?  Run the cron, and see if the backup exists.
Or do you mean you don't see anything happening on the screen when the
cron runs?  If this is the case you wont see anything on the screen.

I find it useful to make scripts very verbose, and email me everything
that is happening to help debug.  Something like:

#!/bin/bash
{
 	echo "To: YOUR NAME <you at email.com>"
 	echo "From: some robot server name <robot at server.com>"
 	echo "Subject: WTF In Progress Check"

 	###
 	###	put you script here
 	###     add echo's for all your variables
 	###	add echo statements to the if thens (it works, or it
 	###	failed)
 	###	cat any files
 	###	make everything verbose
 	###
} 2>&1 | /usr/bin/sendmail -t
exit 0

This is a cool thing I like to do as it emails me everything the script is
doing.  If there is a problem it usually stands out.