On 02/26/2011 08:13 PM, Robert Nesius wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com
> <mailto:woodbrian77 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>> >i am in conflict about c c++ or java.? no languages
>> > taught yet.? still starting out.
>>
>> I would pick C++ for a number of reasons.  C++ tends to
>> perform at least as well as C and sometimes better and it
>> usually defeats Java -- http://quicklz.com/ .   Java is somewhat
>> rigid when it comes to the development process.
>
> They are both statically typed languages, with all of the associated
> inconvenience.
I am inclined to agree with Rob, just started taking Java in college and
find it to have very restrictive patterns. Mind you most of my
experience is in Python and C. Every time I begin coding in Java it
reinforces my preference for Python. YMMV

>> Once a class
>> is started, it has to be completed in the same file.
>
> I think that's a good development practice.
Agreed.

>> C++ doesn't
>> require that and from a code generation standpoint that's helpful
>> in terms of being able to keep hand-written and computer-written
>> code in separate files.
>
> ...wha?
>
>> So in my view Java is not friendly toward small, creative upstarts
>
> Not sure I'd say c++ is friendlier.
Please clarify small creative upstarts. In terms of individual, smaller
projects I find Python very effective and if you need to run on a Java
vm there is always Jython. IMHO C++ is no friendlier than C and is often
more complex.

--
Patrick "Finn" Robins
/Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't