Tony, didn't MN adopt some degree of open format requirement a few years
ago?  Usual rationale includes a desire to have archives stable under
proprietary format changes, as well as a desire/requirement for multi-vendor
sourcing and avoiding sole-source Microsoft licensing contracts.

I thought the Microsoft proprietary *.docx and maybe others had been
forbidden for official use and submissions, as is the case in some state and
fed orgs elsewhere and in much of Europe.

Is there a location with statue of open format requirements around the
country?

A legal clerk recently told me that "the legal profession" has standardized
on *.docx.
This person doesn't seem alert enough to know more than her office practice,
let alone any state-wide standard.

A head admin in Dakota County legal stuff sez their practice is *.doc
whenever outside their org, but *.docx is OK internally.

My mother is on staff at the GWU Grad School of Law in DC and says they use
*.doc and not *.docx for the DC government community, but she doesn't know
about official standards.

RECOMMENDATION:  Make and supply a brief "How to" sheet for setting format
default in Word, etc!!  Most of the people (users especially) involved with
Microsoft stuff do not know that the *.doc option is a) always available,
and b) can and should be set as default.  Most have no idea how to choose or
to get it set as their default.

Footnotes could mention that there is no significaant new feature in Word
since 1997 Pro.  Changes are no more than piddly changes to doc storage
formatting (not actual document composition or structure) to make naive folk
believe they must pay for upgrades.  Earlier docs are completely compatible
with newer WORD versions, and can be edited, printed or just used with NO
extra work.  Another footnote could mention that Open Office if free and
does it all.

Use of ANY proprietary formats, web or other, should be outlawed for both
archive integrity and procurement economy reasons.

Chuck