Perhaps NAT played a part in not charging per computer by the ISPs but I
would say they charged per public IP address which before NAT there
would have to be a public IP address assigned to each computer. So
you're effectively paying for each computer. We still have this today in
reality. A single public IP address in almost all cases costs less than
more than a single IP address for an otherwise identical service.

Additionally I do not believe that a true per-computer charge separate
from the IP addresses would have ever been a realistic or successful
model even without NAT and would have eventually failed if ISPs tried to
enforce it in any meaningful way. <joke> Would they have the Personal
Computer Police come by and make a sweep of your business. I can just
picture it, "This is the PCP, we know you're in there, please keep your
hands off your keyboards. Don't you dare touch that 'any' key or we will
be forced to take more aggressive action. Sir, there's a flood of people
running out the back carrying PCs, I think they're trying to hide the
number of computers they have." </joke>