/var/log/auth.log files (or auth.log in whichever log directory your
distro uses). You can use log monitoring software to block hosts after
they violate what you define as a dirty attempt(s) (something like
denyhost is lightweight and easy to putts with). If you leave a service
up long enough you'd be surprised how many people are out sniffing
around (world wide). Secure shell brute force attacks are very common.

You typically won't know about plain sniffing without monitoring your
actual cards like Rob said (Wireshark is a good tool for monitoring
Ethernet devices live and it can be configured for historical archiving
(probably not the best tool for that), and on the service scanning side
Zenmap for finding what is up and accessible on a host).

Hope that helps,

*Jeremy MountainJohnson*
jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com <mailto:jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com>